Close Menu
The Financial News 247The Financial News 247
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Finance
  • Companies
  • Investing
  • Markets
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • More
    • Opinion
    • Climate
    • Web Stories
    • Spotlight
    • Press Release
What's On

Alibaba launches $10B Hong Kong share placement to fund AI spending

August 23, 2026

Monday, August 24 Clues And Answers

August 23, 2026

Stray Kids Tie One Of The Biggest Rock Bands Of All Time

August 23, 2026

What Time Does ‘Lanterns’ Episode 2 Release On HBO And HBO Max?

August 23, 2026

Barcelona Target Julian Alvarez Heavily Booed By Atleti Fans (VIDEO)

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Financial News 247The Financial News 247
Demo
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Finance
  • Companies
  • Investing
  • Markets
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • More
    • Opinion
    • Climate
    • Web Stories
    • Spotlight
    • Press Release
The Financial News 247The Financial News 247
Home » Destruction of Macy’s 60-year-old ‘shopping bag’ billboard in NYC’s Herald Square gets delayed

Destruction of Macy’s 60-year-old ‘shopping bag’ billboard in NYC’s Herald Square gets delayed

By News RoomJune 17, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Telegram Reddit Email Tumblr
Destruction of Macy’s 60-year-old ‘shopping bag’ billboard in NYC’s Herald Square gets delayed
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The demolition of the iconic Macy’s billboard at Broadway and West 34th Street has been delayed as the department store and the owner of the billboard haggle over its future, The Post has learned.

As The Post exclusively reported, the four-story, red-and-white fixture was initially set to be destroyed the weekend of June 5.

“We are in discussions with Macy’s, no question about it,” said Ed Hart, chief executive of Kaufman Organization, which owns the building where the bag-shaped sign has been perched for more than 60 years.

The Macy’s shopping bag billboard has been on display for more than 60 years.

Hart declined to go into detail on the talks, saying only, “There are a number of things in play.”

His firm erected scaffolding around the building – tucked into the cut-out corner of the Macy’s flagship – over the weekend of June 6. The scaffolding surrounds the Sunglass Hut store that has been in the retail space for decades.

Earlier this month, Macy’s acknowledged the imminent removal of the billboard. 

“As the neighborhood continues to evolve, the current sign – while beloved – is outdated and will be removed as part of broader updates by the billboard owner to modernize the space,” the department store told The Post. 

The company did not immediately comment about the delay. 

Scaffolding was erected around the base of the sign on June 5.

The city’s Buildings Department said it has issued a permit to remove the old billboard, along with permits for two new signs to go up. The cost of removing the sign and putting a new one up will cost Kaufman $1.7 million, according to the documents.

A real estate executive described the situation as a “game of chicken” between Macy’s and Kaufman, which may have been caught off guard by the retailer’s public statement on the matter on June 5.

The billboard is of great importance to Macy’s.

The retailer sued Kaufman in 2021 when it believed that the real estate company was planning to splash an Amazon ad on the building after Macy’s lease for billboard space expired.

“To the naked eye, the billboard is on Macy’s department store and in its own right iconic,” the department store said in a complaint. 

The Macy’s Herald Square flagship was built around a tiny building at the corner of Broadway and West 34th St.

The company argued that an agreement it signed with the building’s owner in 1963 prevents the landlord from leasing the billboard to a competitor – a prohibition that lasts “forever,” according to the lawsuit.

Kaufman argued that it was not bound by such a clause. But the companies appear to have settled the complaint, because the shopping bag remained on the building for the next five years.

billboard Business Commercial Real Estate herald square lawsuit macy’s
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Related News

Alibaba launches $10B Hong Kong share placement to fund AI spending

August 23, 2026

Buc-ee’s chain draws outcry in Ohio after suing mini-mart over beaver logo

August 23, 2026

Apple cutting hundreds more jobs in shift toward AI

August 22, 2026

Randy Mastro goes to war against Mamdani amid the pied-à-terre tax rollout

August 22, 2026

Red Lobster bringing back ‘Endless Shrimp’ deal, again

August 22, 2026

The simple fixes conservatives say could make life cheaper for Americans

August 22, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss

Monday, August 24 Clues And Answers

Tech August 23, 2026

Before today’s Quordle hints and answers, here’s what you missed on Sunday:Hey, folks! Today’s Quordle…

Stray Kids Tie One Of The Biggest Rock Bands Of All Time

August 23, 2026

What Time Does ‘Lanterns’ Episode 2 Release On HBO And HBO Max?

August 23, 2026

Barcelona Target Julian Alvarez Heavily Booed By Atleti Fans (VIDEO)

August 23, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Our Picks

Apple’s Timing Couldn’t Be Better

August 23, 2026

Fleetwood Mac Hits A Milestone As Americans Continue To Stream The Band Non-Stop

August 23, 2026

What Is AI Compute? The $500 Billion Bet On Aging Hardware

August 23, 2026

How Will The Phillies Use Nestor Cortes When He Gets To Philly?

August 23, 2026
The Financial News 247
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact us
© 2026 The Financial 247. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.